Sanctuary Olonana is an award-winning safari lodge on a private stretch of the Mara River bordering Kenya’s most famous game reserve, the Masai Mara.
Adventure, enchantment and ‘Luxury, naturally’ – all delivered with a quiet, understated charm and understanding of place – is the guiding philosophy of Sanctuary Retreats and our luxury safari lodge, Sanctuary Olonana.
Sanctuary Olonana is an exceptional safari lodge located on a private stretch of the Mara River at the foot of the impressive Siria Escarpment, close to where the famous last scene from “Out of Africa” was filmed.
Set in lush woodland on the banks of the Mara River in the Masai Mara, where the great outdoors is invited indoors with 14 glass-sided suites and the two-bedroom Geoffrey Kent Suite.
Why Stay at Sanctuary Olonana
• Located in a private stretch of the Mara River bordering the epic Masai Mara
• Easy access to the Great Wildebeest Migration, only 45 minutes flight from Nairobi
• Very strong conservation and community interaction
• Offers an array of activities including game drives, cultural visits, bush dinners, sundowners and balloon flights
How to get to Sanctuary Olonana
Sanctuary Olonana is located in the Masai Mara on a private stretch of the Mara River. The camp is accessible by air via the Kichwa Tembo Airstrip which is approximately 20 minutes’ drive from Sanctuary Olonana.
• Nairobi Wilson Airport NBO (WIL) to Kichwa Tembo Airstrip (KTC) – 45 minutes
• From Nairobi to Sanctuary Olonana – 6 hours
The luggage restriction for light aircrafts is 15kg / 33lbs per person in a soft-sided bag (including hand luggage).
Ready to book your holiday at Sanctuary Olonana – Masai Mara ? Contact us for the best rates.
What are the 2023 Prices for Sanctuary Olonana – Masai Mara?
Here are Sanctuary Olonana – Masai Mara Resident Rates:
What Does PPS Mean? PPS (Per Person Sharing) means cost Per Adult when sharing the Room with another. Example KES 10,000/- PPS means, 2 Adults in 1 Room pay KES 20,000/-
Sanctuary Olonana – Masai Mara Rates
Sanctuary Olonana welcomes children of all ages.
With spacious family suites and a wide variety of activities for guests of all ages, Sanctuary Olonana is the perfect choice for a family safari in Kenya. Activities can be arranged especially for children including tailored game drives, treasure
hunts, bird watching and animal print identification. Visits to the local Maasai village can include a variety of activities including mock spear throwing, fire making, hut building and cattle herding. There is also the opportunity to help with conservation by planting a tree in Sanctuary Olonana’s “tree sanctuary!” We are flexible with meals and meal times for
Children aged 15 years and younger are required to share with their parents. Sanctuary Olonana offers 3 family suites, featuring two bedrooms. Private vehicle must be booked for children aged 5 or younger. Babysitting service is available on request (not a registered babysitter) at a nominal fee which will be paid directly to the child minder. Baby cots are
What Hotel Facilities are available at Sanctuary Olonana – Masai Mara?
Sanctuary Olonana is an exceptional luxury safari lodge set on a private stretch of the Mara River bordering Kenya’s most famous game reserve, the Masai Mara. The 14 glass-sided suites at Sanctuary Olonana are at least 141 sqm in size and feature floor-to-ceiling glass doors that fold open to reveal magnificent Mara River views. Three suites boats
an extra bedroom, ideal for families. Sumptuous king-sized beds, with overhead fans, air con, glamorous ensuites and a daybed on the deck invite you to relax inside or out, while the sprawling lower lounge area offers panoramic views of the surrounding landscape.
The main dining area, lounge and vast decking area command views over a dramatic stretch of the river. There is also a swimming pool and a mini-spa offering luxurious treatments ranging from facials to body massages.
The Geoffrey Kent Suite allows travellers to immerse themselves in secluded ultra-luxury in this sophisticated free-flowing space. Guests will enjoy two ensuite bedrooms, an additional family room, wraparound private decking and infinity pool,lounge and dining area, and private vehicle and safari guide.
Complimentary Wi-Fi is available in the rooms. Electricity supply is a combination of main grid power and silent packed generator.
Which Rooms Types are in Sanctuary Olonana – Masai Mara?
After adventurous days tracking lions, riding horses with rhinos or spotting giraffes, elephants, gazelle and zebra in this stunning wildlife retreat, guests can retire to the secluded tented camp for sundowners, relaxation and attentive five-star service. The individually decorated canvas tents have a boutique-meets-bush style that harks back to the golden age, updated with contemporary style, from teak floors to unique touches that reflect the local culture. Inside the spacious and beautifully appointed main tent, inviting sofas and chairs encourage guests to linger. The camp’s colours are inspired by nature, from ‘sun-bleached’ wood and wicker lampshades to intense bursts of colour in the exuberant fabrics, like wildflowers dotted around the landscape. The tented ceiling and soft lighting create a sophisticated ambience.
Each luxury guest tent is large and airy (57sqm), with a private veranda overlooking the grassy plains. Gently billowing white curtains add to the romance, with Masai-inspired art in traditional blue – representing the sky and precious rainwater. Enjoy floor-to-ceiling cinematic views of the landscape from the super king beds. The ensuite boasts a walk-in shower, double basin and sumptuous towels.
What are the Foods & Drinks options at Sanctuary Olonana – Masai Mara?
Breakfast, lunch, snacks during activities and dinners are all included in your stay. Breakfast is served before the morning game activity. During your morning game viewing activity, coffee, tea and a selection of scones and biscuits will be served out in the bush. Lunch will be enjoyed back at the camp. Afternoon and evening game drives include classic sundowner cocktails and canapés at specially selected spots before returning to the camp for pre-dinner drinks and dinner. Romantic private dinners on the boma deck or by the pool can be arranged upon request. With prior notice, our camps are able to arrange halaal meals, however, please note our kitchens aren’t strictly halaal and our chefs are not trained in halaal foodpreparation. Unfortunately, Sanctuary Olonana is unable to arrange kosher meals.
Meals typically consist of the following:
• Breakfast: Continental and full English Breakfast
• Lunch: Table d’Hote
• Dinner: Table d’Hote, 3 course meal with 2 to 3 choices, one being a vegetarian
Which Hotel Activities are available for guests at Sanctuary Olonana – Masai Mara?
- Game drives: At Sanctuary Olonana, game viewing starts from the camp. A pod of hippos lives permanently in the river just below camp and many other species come to drink there. Sanctuary Retreats’ experienced guides take you to all the hidden spots and our customised open safari vehicles offer all-round views, allowing for excellent photography opportunities. The Mara’s rich eco-system includes acacia-studded savannah, riparian forest and woodland which attract more than 300 bird species and a stunning variety of animal life all year round.
- Maasai Village Visit: Get an insight into the vibrant and still traditional way of life of the Maasai. Learn about the medicinal plants that grow here, the importance of cattle and the stages of life through which all Maasai pass, from young boy or girl to respected elder. Accompanied by an experienced Maasai guide, you are invited to visit the village which is built along traditional lines; complete with cattle enclosure, outer palisade and mud and cow dung huts.
- Local School Visit: More and more popular are the visits organised by our guides to a variety of local schools during school term. These visits are free but we would recommend a donation to the school of anything upward of $15 per person.
- Hot air balloon safari: Your balloon is inflated against the first rays of sunrise and once aloft floats gently over the plains and the plethora of game. After about one hour the balloon lands and nearby, breakfast is already being prepared. The smells of bacon, sausages and eggs drift on the breeze as you begin breakfast with platefuls of Kenyan fruits and pastries and, of course, glasses of bubbly to toast your flight.
- Spa Treatments: Between activities, relax at our mini-spa which offers a range of treatments from facials to body massages. With spectacular views over the Mara River and the soothing sound of the river and hippos in the background – you’ll have no choice but to relax. Africology uses healing essences of some of South Africa’s indigenous plants, Rooibos, Aloe Ferox, Marula and African Potato. They are dermatologically tested to EU standards, not tested on animals nor use any animal products
Some activities are at an additional cost
Honeymoons at Sanctuary Olonana – Masai Mara
Guests celebrating their honeymoon will receive special surprises during their stay. All attempts are made to keep honeymooners separate from other guests.
Sanctuary Olonana honeymoon services include:
• Private meals on boma deck
• A bottle of sparkling wine during dinner
• Traditional Maasai blessing ceremony
• Complimentary 30 minute back massage and spa treatments at reduced rates
• Complimentary private vehicle (subject to availability