Keekorok Lodge is the first property located in the Masai Mara Game Reserve and it offers traditional accommodations with private patios. Guests can enjoy views of the wildlife from the outdoor pool or the sundeck.
Keekorok Lodge lies at the southern end of the Maasai Mara Reserve. It is sited in the direct path of the annual migration and was the first lodge to be built in the Mara; it opened its doors in 1965. At the height of the migration, Keekorok is surrounded by a swarming mass of animals and there is hardly any need to go for a game drive. Keekorok’s charm lies in the liberal use of local building materials. Sand stone, cedar wood and other indigenous materials are used in all rooms and public areas. A 300-meter walkway meanders through the riverine forest in front of the lodge with a small bar at one end overlooking a dam where the resident hippo, if he is not on ‘walk about’, finds his observers as fascinating as they find him.
Located in the very heart of Kenya’s fabled Maasai Mara National Reserve, Keekorok, meaning motley abundance in the local Maasai language, was constructed in 1962 on a choice eighty-acre site in an area of permanent springs and lush grassland. Accommodation is on a full board basis that includes morning tea or coffee, breakfast, luncheon, afternoon tea, and dinner. Luncheon boxes are available by prior request for guests taking all-day game drives.
All spacious rooms have a balcony, overlooking the garden, pool or Reserve. They are equipped with a ceiling fan, allergy-free bedding, and mosquito nets. The Lodge serves traditional dishes in the Hippo Bar, overlooking the lake. The Elephant Deck provides a good setting for experiencing a bush dinner.
Guests can explore the Keekorok Nature Reserve with a safari and the 24-hour reception can assist. For the younger guests, a children’s playground is also provided. Keekorok Airstrip is only a 10-minute drive away and a shuttle service is provided on request.
Keekorok Lodge Location
Keekorok is located within Kenya’s Maasai Mara National Reserve, which is at an altitude of 1,617 meters above sea level
By Road: From Nairobi take approximately 5 hours
By Air: For clients on a Keekorok flying package, there is a flight of approximately 1 hour from Wilson airport Nairobi. Mara Serena Airstrip is 2 km from lodge, ‘Meet and greet and transfer services can be provided for clients on the flying package ( Please advise arrival time in advance)
Climate: The Reserve receives the highest rainfall (average 1000 mm pa) in the Serengeti-Mara ecosystem. Rain falls throughout the year but peaks in December, January and April.
Ready to book your holiday at Keekorok Lodge ? Contact us for the best rates.
What are the 2023 Prices for Keekorok Lodge?
Here are Keekorok Lodge Resident Rates:
What Does PPS Mean? PPS (Per Person Sharing) means cost Per Adult when sharing the Room with another. Example KES 10,000/- PPS means, 2 Adults in 1 Room pay KES 20,000/-
Keekorok Lodge Rates
1 Child below 6 years, Sharing with Adults: FREE
Masai Mara Reserve 2023 Park Fees:
|Masai Mara Park Fees||KE||EA||NON RESIDENT|
|Validity: 24 Hours
||CITIZEN||RESIDENT||Inside Park||Outside Park|
|Adult Park Fee||KES 1,000.00||KES 1,200.00||USD 70.00||USD 70.00|
|Children Park Fee||KES 300.00||KES 500.00||USD 40.00||USD 45.00|
What you have to know about Masai Mara Park Fees:
Staying Inside Masai Mara Park Fees(Non-residents):
Masai Mara Park Entry Fees applicable to Guests staying in Camps and Lodges INSIDE the Masai Mara Reserve
Staying Outside Masai Mara Park Fee Rates(Non-residents):
Masai Mara Park Entry Fees applicable to Guests staying in Camps and Lodges OUTSIDE the Masai Mara Reserve
Masai Mara Citizen Entry Fees and Masai Mara Resident Entry Fees
Citizen Entry Fees: Guests visiting Masai Mara Reserve are required to present their Kenya National IDs
Resident Entry Fees: For residents of Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Burundi and Rwanda
||| Residents visiting the Masai Mara Reserve are required to: present their passports or show work permits or appropriate visa/s as proof of residency status
What Hotel Facilities are available at Keekorok Lodge?
Keekorok Lodge offers a wide range of facilities and activities to ensure guests have a comfortable and enjoyable stay, while also allowing them to experience the beauty of the surrounding wildlife and nature. Here are some of the facilities available at Keekorok Lodge:
- Outdoor swimming pool: The pool at Keekorok Lodge is surrounded by sun loungers and umbrellas, making it a perfect place to relax and soak up the sun. Towels are provided for guests to use.
- Eseriani Spa: The spa at Keekorok Lodge offers a variety of treatments, including massages, facials, body scrubs, and aromatherapy. There are four treatment rooms, including one for couples, and guests can choose from a range of packages or create their own custom treatments.
- Restaurant: The lodge's restaurant serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as afternoon tea. The menu features a variety of international and local dishes, including Kenyan favorites like ugali and nyama choma. The restaurant also offers vegetarian and gluten-free options.
- Bars and cafe: In addition to the Hippo Bar and Elephant Deck, Keekorok Lodge has two other bars, including the Pool Bar and the Lounge Bar, which serves cocktails and snacks. The cafe has a television lounge and serves light meals and snacks throughout the day.
- Complimentary tea and coffee: Guests can enjoy complimentary tea and coffee on the terrace throughout the day, as well as during morning and afternoon game drives.
- Hippo Bar: The Hippo Bar is a unique experience, allowing guests to observe hippos in their natural habitat from a safe distance. The bar overlooks a hippo pool, and guests can also spot other wildlife, such as crocodiles and birds.
- Elephant Deck: The Elephant Deck is another great spot for wildlife viewing, especially elephants. The deck overlooks a waterhole, which attracts a variety of animals, including zebras, giraffes, and buffalo.
Which Rooms Types are in Keekorok Lodge?
Keekorok Lodge Rooms
Accomodation at Keekorok Lodge comprises single storey bungalows constructed from natural materials. All have ensuite bathrooms and private verandahs with views over the plains and distant hills. The bedrooms are equipped with the finest linens and furniture and electricity is provided on a 24 hour basis. For those with a taste for kenya’s pioneering days, a number of luxury tents on stone hardstands are available, all fitted to the highest standards.
Standard Room – There are 85 Standard Rooms at Keekorok Lodge. Standard Rooms are 32sqm. The Standard rooms been furnished with carefully selected custom-made furnishings, that reflect the hotel’s quiet serenity. Rooms are authentically designed décor with perfect views of the Lawns and the Wild.
Chalet Room – These rooms overlook the sprawling lush gardens which offer peaceful views. Chalet Rooms are 40sqm.
Executive Suite – These rooms are authentically designed décor with perfect views of the lawns and gardens. Executive rooms are 42 sqm.
Premium Suite – These rooms are authentically designed décor with perfect views of the lawns and gardens. Premium rooms are 42 sqm.
Presidential Suite – The presidential suite/cottage provide a large living and dining area. Private terrace with day bed overlooking the lake and a private out door fireplace. Offers guests a one-of-a-kind guest experience and contemporary comfort and modern lifestyle. The presidential suite is 110sqm.
What are the Foods & Drinks options at Keekorok Lodge?
The quality of Keekorok’s dining options is unsurpassed, and you will be able to savour the Chef’s delicious creations for each meal during your stay at Keekorok Lodge. All meals are buffet-style with a huge choice of freshly prepared options. The main meal plan at Keekorok Lodge is Full Board, Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.
Dining at Keekorok is a stylish affair in an open-sided dining room affording stunning views over the Mara. Breakfast and dinner at Keekorok Lodge are served in the Main Restaurant while packed lunched are available for those looking to explore the far corners of the reserve.
After a strenuous day of game spotting and nature watching, what better way to relax and feel re-invigorated than by taking a swim in the cool, clear waters of the pool.
The al fresco lounge/bar, which is open throughout the day and especially for Kenya’s famous evening ‘sundowners’, has been designed with a distinctly African ‘feel’. An attractive and certainly unique feature here is an elevated 300 metre long walkway from the bar to a small dam in which a family of hippos have made their home. Watch the hippos and other animals and birds from the safety and comfort of the cocktail bar at Keekorok Lodge.
Which Hotel Activities are available for guests at Keekorok Lodge?
- Game drives: Game drives are one of the main attractions at Keekorok Lodge, with experienced guides taking guests on early morning and late afternoon drives in custom-built safari vehicles. Guests have the opportunity to see a variety of wildlife, including the Big Five (lion, leopard, elephant, buffalo, and rhino), as well as gazelles, zebras, giraffes, and many other species. The lodge also offers guided nature walks and bird watching.
- Conference and meetings: Keekorok Lodge offers conference and meeting facilities for business travelers, with two conference rooms that can accommodate up to 80 and 40 guests respectively. The lodge also offers a range of services, including audiovisual equipment, Wi-Fi, and catering.
- Spa and wellness: The Eseriani Spa at Keekorok Lodge offers a range of treatments designed to promote relaxation and rejuvenation. In addition to massages and facials, guests can enjoy aromatherapy, reflexology, and body scrubs. The spa also features a steam room and a relaxation area with hot and cold plunge pools.
- Balloon safaris: For a unique and unforgettable experience, guests at Keekorok Lodge can take a hot air balloon safari over the Masai Mara. The balloon rides take place early in the morning and provide a stunning view of the savannah and wildlife below. After the ride, guests can enjoy a bush breakfast before returning to the lodge.