Borana Lodge is a luxury safari lodge located in the Borana Conservancy, a private game reserve in Laikipia, Kenya. The lodge offers a unique blend of luxury, conservation, and community development.
The lodge is situated on a hillside overlooking a valley and offers stunning views of Mount Kenya. It has eight luxurious cottages, each with a fireplace and private veranda, as well as a family cottage with two bedrooms. The cottages are designed using sustainable materials and feature African decor with modern amenities.
Borana Lodge offers a variety of activities, including game drives, guided bush walks, mountain biking, horse riding, and cultural visits to the local Maasai community. The reserve is home to a wide variety of wildlife, including elephants, lions, leopards, giraffes, and zebras.
In addition to providing a unique safari experience, Borana Lodge is committed to conservation and community development. The Borana Conservancy works to protect the area's wildlife and habitats, while also providing economic opportunities for local communities through tourism and other sustainable activities.
Borana Lodge is steeped in history and style, perched on a hillside at the heart of Borana Conservancy, all proceeds are invested into the sustainable conservation of land, wildlife and building local livelihoods. Borana Lodge is a retreat for honeymooners, families with children of all ages, and those looking for adventure. This truly is travelling with a purpose.
Location of Borana Lodge
This Lodge is at the heart of Borana Conservancy,26km North of the equator at 1,900m in altitude. Borana Conservancy is home to The Orginal Pride Rock, the inspiration for Disney’s classic.
How to Get to Borana Lodge
Scheduled flights to Lewa Downs, a 1h30min game drive to Borana Lodge. Charter flights to Borana Conservancy, a 15min game drive to Borana Lodge. Road transfers from Nairobi can be arranged, a 5hr drive to Borana Lodge, traffic dependant.
Prepare for warm days and cool nights. Layers are key to comfort.
Borana Lodge is open year round with rains typically arriving around May and November, although this is becoming harder and harder to predict. April and May are the most beautiful months with wild flowers blooming and animals giving birth.
Borana Conservancy has been hailed by Save The Rhino International as Kenya’s newest and most successful rhino sanctuary. In 2013 a founding population of Black Rhino were introduced. Once settled, the fences between Borana Conservancy and Lewa Wildlife Conservancy (to the East) were dropped to form one landscape; 92,000 acres of unspoilt Africa Wilds, the largest continuous Rhino habitat in East Africa. Coupled with over five years with no poaching incidents, the Lewa-Borana Landscape is a sanctuary for over nine highly endangered species.
Ready to book your holiday at Borana Lodge ? Contact us for the best rates.
- Stunning Wild Location
- Full board accommodation
- Drinks (house wines, house spirits beers and soft drinks)
- Sundowner Excursions
- Exclusive use of a vehicle for groups of more than three
What are the 2023 Prices for Borana Lodge?
Here are Borana Lodge Resident Rates:
Borana Lodge Rates
|2023 Rates||Double/Twin Sharing
||Child (5 – 15 yrs)
|20th Jan 2023 – 14th Jun 2023||KES 35,890/- PPS||KES 17,950/- PPS|
|15th Jun 2023 – 30th Sep 2023||KES 52,380/- PPS||KES 26,190/- PPS|
|1st Oct 2023 – 19th Dec 2023||KES 35,890/- PPS||KES 17,950/- PPS|
Borana Lodge Prices/Rates are in KES, Per Person, Per Night
Full board accommodation
Drinks (house wines, house spirits beers and soft drinks)
Local Airstrip Transfers from Borana Conservancy and Lewa Downs
Exclusive use of a vehicle for groups of more than three
Laundry and wifi
Borana Lodge Activities included:
Game Drives (night and day)
Guided Bush Walks
Horse Riding (one per guest per stay)
Behind the Scenes Conservation Activities which includes :rhino tracking on foot and tours of Waitabit Farm
Premium spirits, cellar wines and champagne
Afternoon departure with lunch – 5,000/-
Guide / pilot accommodation – 18,500/-
Visit to Ngare Ndare Forest – 2,500/-
Visit Lewa Wildlife Conservancy – 2,950/-
Visit to Kisima Floriculture project per group – 7,000/-
Fly Camping set up fee per group – 60,000/-
Exclusive use of a vehicle per day – 35,000/-
Which Hotel Facilities are available for guests at Borana Lodge?
Borana Lodge offers a range of facilities to ensure a comfortable and enjoyable stay for its guests. Here are some of the main facilities:
- Accommodation: The lodge has eight cottages and a family cottage, all with en-suite bathrooms, fireplaces, and private verandas. The rooms are designed using sustainable materials and offer a blend of African decor and modern amenities.
- Dining: The lodge has a restaurant that serves delicious meals made using fresh, locally sourced ingredients. Guests can enjoy their meals indoors or outdoors while enjoying the beautiful views of the valley.
- Lounge: The lodge has a comfortable lounge area with a fireplace, where guests can relax and unwind while enjoying a drink from the bar.
- Swimming pool: The lodge has a swimming pool that offers a refreshing break from the heat of the day. Guests can relax on the sun loungers by the pool while enjoying the stunning views of Mount Kenya.
- Spa: The lodge has a spa that offers a range of treatments to help guests relax and rejuvenate during their stay.
- Activities: Borana Lodge offers a range of activities, including game drives, guided bush walks, mountain biking, horse riding, and cultural visits to the local Maasai community. The lodge also has a range of wildlife viewing hides that offer a unique perspective on the animals in the reserve.
- Conservation and community initiatives: The Borana Conservancy is committed to conservation and community development. The lodge offers guests the opportunity to learn about these initiatives and get involved in supporting them.
Borana Lodge offers a range of facilities that cater to the needs of its guests, while also providing a sustainable and responsible tourism experience.
Which Rooms Types are in Borana Lodge?
Borana Lodge Rooms
Borana Lodge is made up of four stand alone guest cottages, two doubles with king sized beds and two twins with queen sized beds.
Each cottage has it’s own spacious en-suite bathroom, private veranda and fireplace for the cooler evenings.
A further two family cottages have a double and a twin room sharing a veranda and private dining area.
Room 5&6 has a child’s room, off the double, suitable for children under the age of twelve.
Room 7&8 is more exclusive with a private plunge pool, sun deck and private access route.
Borana Lodge sleeps sixteen guests with two additional small children and a further two guide rooms.
What are the Foods & Drinks options at Borana Lodge?
The food at Borana Lodge is sourced from nearby farms, with the majority of fresh produce coming from Waitabit Farm, an organic permaculture project located between Borana and Lewa Wildlife Conservancies. Borana Lodge can cater for all dietary preferences and allergies, please ensure you specify before you travel.
Borana Lodge offers a range of delicious and locally sourced meals, as well as a variety of drinks to suit guests' preferences. Here are some details about the lodge's food and drink offerings:
- Meals: The lodge's restaurant offers a range of meals throughout the day, including breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The chefs use fresh and locally sourced ingredients to create a range of dishes, including Kenyan specialties and international cuisine. Guests can also request meals tailored to their dietary requirements or preferences.
- Drinks: The lodge's bar offers a variety of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, including wines, beers, spirits, and soft drinks. Guests can enjoy their drinks in the lounge, restaurant, or outside while taking in the stunning views of the valley.
- Bush breakfast and sundowners: Borana Lodge offers guests the opportunity to enjoy breakfast in the bush or a sundowner in a scenic location. These experiences are a unique way to enjoy the beauty of the reserve while enjoying delicious food and drinks.
- Private dining: For a special occasion or a romantic evening, guests can arrange for a private dining experience in a secluded location. The chefs will create a personalized menu for the occasion, and guests can enjoy a romantic meal under the stars.
Borana Lodge offers a variety of delicious and locally sourced meals and drinks, with options for guests with dietary requirements or preferences. Guests can also enjoy unique dining experiences in scenic locations.
Which Hotel Activities are available for guests at Borana Lodge?
Borana Conservancy is home to The Big Five, including Black and White Rhino. 12% of the world’s population of the endangered Grevy’s Zebra is found on the Lewa-Borana Landscape, along with the rare Reticulated Giraffe. Over the last 20 years, over 225 different species of bird have been recorded, making Borana an ornithologist’s dream. There are a wide range of activities which ensure guests of Borana Lodge make the most of their time in this incredibly unique conservation area.
Borana Conservancy is wonderful riding country, allowing one to experience game viewing from a unique perspective. With two sets of stables catering to various abilities the experiences range from walking with giraffe (suitable for those without any prior experience) to galloping with herds of Zebra.
BEHIND THE SCENES OF CONSERVATION
Spend time with the men and women who work tirelessly to keep Borana’s wildlife safe. Track Rhino at first light or escort the armed teams on their evenings deployments and get a unique insight into life as a wildlife ranger.
TOURS OF WAITABIT FARM
Waitabit Farm supplies Borana Lodge and Conservancy with all fresh produce including fruit, vegetables, milk, eggs, cream and beef. Spending time touring Waitabit Farm leaves one with a wealth of knowledge and a passion for food and where it comes from.
- Bush meals
- Day and night game drives
- Days on the river within Borana Conservancy
- Guided bush walks
- Horse riding for both novice and experienced riders
- Mountain Biking
- Ranch days
- School visits
- Tours of Waitabit Farm